Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Silver Keepsake

Swirling silver leaves.


Engraved with an “F”
French was my grandmother’s maiden name.


Open, it reveals a coin.
Liberty head nickel, 1899


And is imprinted with these words:

LONDON
22 SEP 1902

It holds coins for the trolley fare.

A nickel is the perfect size.

Was it made for the American market,
or is there an English coin the same size?


The silver six pence is a bit too small.

Minted for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee, 1887.
Purchased at a shop in Canterbury.
Worn in my shoe on my wedding day.

Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting and beautiful piece of jewellery. It seems surprising that it was made for the export market but the Victorians were very enterprising. I wonder if it was adapted as a gift for a particular person who had to ride the trolley-bus - which would make it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one - but plain silver. They are for half-sovereigns,to hang from a chain across a waistcoat. I wear mine like a locket.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!