Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

I subscribe to an email from a website called Big Green Purse.
It focuses on environmental issues
and what we can do with our purchasing power
to positively impact the environment.
I almost always learn something that I can use immediately.

One of their emails arrived Monday
with a list of things not to do, and a list of things to do,
to celebrate Earth Day.

It made me think: what will I do on Earth Day this year?

So here's what I did:

Took the recycling out to the curb for the weekly pick-up
(I'm grateful that our village makes it so easy to recycle)


Took the kitchen scraps out to the compost pile
(not a well managed pile, but it works for me)


Picked flowers from the garden for a centerpiece
for the birthday dinner


Hung the laundry on the line to dry
(started this last April and
have not used the gas dryer more than a handful of times since)


Planted onions
(there are almost a HUNDRED in this bunch!
I was told there would be about 25. But I'm OK with that.)


Made dinner
(roasted turkey breast and fresh vegetables
in a rosemary cream sauce,
fresh asparagus with chives from the garden
(the chives, not the asparagus)
,
grilled whole wheat crostini, and fresh strawberries for dessert)


Washed the dishes with earth-friendly dishwasher detergent
and dishwashing liquid. No phosphates.


Thanked God for our beautiful earth
and for the chance to make a difference

What's next? I'm thinking of installing a rain barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!