Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Week 5

Yesterday began week 5 of G attending an adult day program 3 days per week. I was told that most people resist at first and take a few weeks to get used to it. So I was hoping that by now, we wouldn't still be having the sturm und drang each morning he has to attend the program. I spoke to the nurse practioner at G's doctor's office and asked if the 30 to 45 minutes of drama and turmoil getting G out of the house and into the car is worth it. He asked how G does once he's there: is he participating or sitting with his arms folded and head down? I'm told by the staff that G participates to some degree, so Dan thought the 5 hours or so of interaction with others probably makes the stress of getting him out of the house worth continuing.

Last Friday afternoon when I arrived to get G, the group was sitting around tables, having a snack, so I sat down with them and introduced myself. I thought they seemed like nice people; most older than G, but conversational. G engaged with some of the conversation, which really encouraged me. Then, on the way home when I said something about them being nice people, he didn't agree. "Imbeciles," he said. Ouch. Harsh.

Wish I could find a way to make it more palatable for G. Or that he would make a friend there, someone he would look forward to seeing, as he did with the first support group he joined after his diagnosis 7 years ago. That could make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!