Monday, October 31, 2011

Greener Halloween

Treat bowl designed and produced by my sister Amy.

I heard a story on the radio this morning,
suggesting that Trick-or-Treaters try to be more ecologically responsible.
Use reusable pillow cases instead of disposable plastic or paper bags
to collect treats.
Don't litter the streets with discarded candy wrappers.
Yadda yadda yadda.

So I'm feeling quite self-righteous in my choice of treats.

Each will be dropped into the trick-or-treater's pillow case / plastic pumpkin / grocery bag / sans wrapper. Naked. Nothing to throw away.

As well, there will be no discussions of what kind of sugar,
how much farm subsidy it got,
whether the chocolate was fair trade,
types of nut allergies,
or how quickly the treat will rot one's teeth.

Vegan, vegetarian, raw foodist; all will be satisfied.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

The naked truth: I can't be trusted with bags of candy on hand.
So, if those kids want a treat, it will have to be money.

1 comment:

  1. Splendid idea!
    Out here in the Boonies, we have had
    probably a grand total of 4 trick or treaters on Halloween...in 33 years. I am NOT complaining. I don't dislike the idea at all, but I mostly love the day for all of the gorgeous Autumness at this time of year.
    p.s. That bowl is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!