Friday, November 11, 2011

In Thanksgiving

My grandfather, age 17, in 1917

In recognition on this Veterans Day for all who have served or are serving in the military. In my family: my maternal grandfather (WWI), maternal great-uncle (WWII, killed in action), my dad (WWII), paternal uncle (WWII), brother-in-law (Navy, but fortunately never had to serve in battle, though they did have some dangerous times in the North Sea on a carrier), and G (Dutch navy, before I was born - also never had to serve in battle). I pray for the time that this day of recognition will be able to focus solely on remembering veterans of past wars because we will have achieved the other focus of Veterans Day, "the dedication to the cause of world peace."

Posted on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Ginnie. I have a family tree full of military men as well, and a lovely photo of my great-grandfather during WWI with some fellow soldiers in what looks like Belgium. Your grandfather was so young. May we never forget the sacrifices of those who served and still serve.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!