Thursday, March 14, 2013

A door opening

 Snowdrops appeared after our nine inches of snow began to melt last weekend.

In early January, I answered a notice in an e-newsletter from an Illinois non-profit  looking for a volunteer to come once a week to do "mindless office work."

The non-profit works with faith communities (of all flavors) 
to give them tools to be good stewards of the earth.

I had been wondering what direction to take next, after so many years of taking care of Gerrit.  I didn't want to go back into the food industry, where I had spent all of my career prior to Gerrit's getting sick.  And while I'm very interested in environmental issues, I have no credentials beyond an amateur's enthusiasm.

So I thought that this might be a good way for me to do something useful, maybe meet some people who could lead me to another stage, and if nothing else, give me a little structure in my week.

I started mid-January, taking the train into Chicago and walking through the Loop to the office.  Each week I worked on a database of grants and projects, updating information and creating reports, and doing whatever else the executive director wanted me to do.  

Four weeks later, the part time bookkeeper left for a full time job, and I was asked if I wanted to take on that responsibility one more day a week, for pay.  No matter that I have no bookkeeping experience; the ED had confidence in my abilities.

It didn't take me long to say yes.  One 5-hour stint with the departing bookkeeper (an excellent and patient teacher) on QuickBooks, and several follow-up training sessions with the accountant/consultant (also an excellent and patient teacher), and I'm feeling like I can be a useful addition to the small but mighty team.

2 comments:

  1. What a happy path for you, and how fortunate for them to have you. That Executive Director has a good feel for talent and intelligence. Congratulations on your job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! I'd been wondering about your job situation and it's good to know you found something... for love AND for money. :)

    Beautiful snowdrops. And I wish our snow would melt but we seem to keep getting more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!